Knowing springtime is traditionally when disciplinary situations intensify, while school districts concurrently review policies, administrative regulations and handbooks for the next school year, MASSP has partnered with Lusk Albertson to create a “Legal Survival Guide” and an accompanying one-day workshop to engage leaders in exploring best practices in setting expectations, building culture, and responding to undesirable behavior.
The “Legal Survival Guide” is a collection of attorney-reviewed and attorney-approved resources to help navigate the legal challenges that schools face. The Legal Survival Guide is a toolkit to assist in making sure that your school’s handbook, notifications, policies and regulations are up-to-date and legally compliant. In addition, it includes best practices for conducting investigations and responding to discipline infractions.
Whether you are a new administrator that doesn’t know what you don’t know, a mid-career administrator looking to clarify your understanding and strengthen your practice, or a veteran administrator seeking a fresh perspective, the Legal Survival Guide: Navigating the Legal Challenges School Districts Face is the workshop for you.
- Review recent changes in state statute and MDE policy that impact the administration of a school
- Compare existing language in student code of conduct, notifications, policies, and regulations with attorney drafted model language
- Identify necessary updates and recommended revisions within the local code of conduct
- Examine case studies/scenarios and investigation practices for responding to allegations and complaints of student misconduct.
Participants will leave with...
- The most current information about what the laws require in terms of student code of conduct, school policies, notifications, and forms
- Sample language that can be used or modified to meet each school’s needs to properly inform students and parents while protecting the district
- Electronic access to the “Legal Survival Guide” for easy edits and cut/paste language (a $200 value)
- Checklist and Status Assessment of statutory requirements that need to be discussed, added and/or revised, and recommended for approval by Board of Education
- Secondary Principals
- Secondary Assistant Principals / Deans of Students
- Elementary Principals
- Central Office Administrators
- Review Legal Surival Guide sections
- Annual notifications & forms
What they are saying...
“This is not a typical secondary school handbook but is, instead, an up-to-date, easy-to-read, and easy-to understand toolkit for the smooth running of all high schools in the state.”
Kevin Sutton, Lusk Albertson PLC
Participants will earn up to 5 SCECHs during the training.
Legal Survival Guide Webinar:
Kevin Sutton, Lusk Albertson PLC
Managing Partner who works exclusively with public school districts and educational entities. Kevin's legal practice is focused on all aspects of school district operation, but chiefly on the defense of contested matters, including state and federal lawsuits filed against clients, as well as claims of discrimination, investigation of allegations of employee/student harassment and conduct, recommending appropriate employer actions in response to same, and advising clients regarding their statutory obligations under Michigan’s Revised School Code, applicable special education laws, school-related statutes, and labor/employment issues.
1001 Centennial Way
Lansing, MI 48917
MASSP Cancellation Policy
Cancellations made seven (7) calendar days or more in advance of the training date, will receive a 100% refund. Cancellations made after this date, including no-shows, are nonrefundable. Registration fees may be transferred to another individual by contacting the MASSP office at (517) 327-5315.
In the event that MASSP must cancel a training due to unforeseen circumstances, including inclement weather, participants will be refunded the cost of registration or may credit the fee toward an upcoming training. MASSP does not assume responsibility for any additional costs, charges or expenses; to include, charges made for travel and lodging.
Lansing , MI 48917