Khan Academy isn’t just for math anymore! The College Board has partnered with Khan Academy to provide free Official SAT Practice to all Michigan Students. The remediation is personalized to each student’s strengths and weaknesses - extending to both the ELA and Math portions of the assessment - and teachers have the ability to monitor student progress. In addition, there are lesson plans and assignment functions for teachers within the Official SAT Practice site. Participants in this workshop will learn about the in's and out's of this game-changing system from a Khan Academy Ambassador, resident guru and Super-user, Erin Carlson, a classroom English Teacher at Sandusky Jr./Sr. High School.
- Create a Khan Academy account and class
- Add students and lessons
- Explore lesson content (videos, practice, quizzes and tests)
- Dig into assignment and lesson options
- Explore content related to a specific subject area
- View and edit reports to see individual or whole class activity and success
- Exploration of Khan Academy's class features and coaching tools for a variety of content areas and SAT Prep
- Examination of Khan’s SAT Prep lessons through both a student and teacher lens
Participants will leave with...
- Differentiated support with a step-by-step walkthrough for new Khan Academy users and more advanced function exploration for intermediate users
- Specific examples and guidance for implementation of Khan Academy in schools that offer SAT Prep courses, as well as for those embedding SAT skills into all curriculums
- Secondary ELA & Math Teachers (Grades 9-11)
- SAT Prep Class Supervisors
What they are saying...
"Erin Carlson made herself a student of Official SAT Practice, the K-12 Score Reporting Portal, and the SAT Suite of Assessments. In the process, she has become a leader and invaluable resource for the College Board and all Michigan educators."
Director of College Readiness Assessments, College Board
Beginners - Class Creation & Assigning Lessons
Intermediate - Using Reports & Advanced Options
Reviewing strategies for using Khan Academy SAT Prep in both embedded and standalone prep classes
Erin Carlson is a veteran, master ELA teacher at Sandusky Jr/Sr High School located in Sandusky, Michigan. A Khan Academy Ambassador & SAT Practice Student Ambassador Leader, Erin has partnered with College Board and shared her experiences and strategies using the platform on a national level. She has also co-hosted a College Board/Khan Academy webinar and presented at EdCon.
MASSP Cancellation Policy
Cancellations made seven (7) calendar days or more in advance of the training date, will receive a 100% refund. Cancellations made after this date, including no-shows, are nonrefundable. Registration fees may be transferred to another individual by contacting the MASSP office at (517) 327-5315.
In the event that MASSP must cancel a training due to unforeseen circumstances, including inclement weather, participants will be refunded the cost of registration or may credit the fee toward an upcoming training. MASSP does not assume responsibility for any additional costs, charges or expenses; to include, charges made for travel and lodging.