Being a school administrator is a difficult but incredibly important role in education. Working with students, teachers, office staff and community members, principals and assistant principals wear many hats and take on many responsibilities throughout the school year. Your effort and dedication to building excellence provide opportunities for student growth and school-wide achievement.
Each year, MASSP AND MASC/MAHS recognize one outstanding secondary school principal and assistant principal for their work to progress student activity groups, school leaders and their building culture as the MASSP and MASC/MAHS Principal and Assistant Principal of the Year. Honorees are selected by the MASC/MAHS Student Board of Delegates and the MASSP Board of Directors.
Before you nominate an outstanding principal or assistant principal, read through the following information about eligibility and deadlines.
Who can be nominated?
- Current MASSP members (winners must also be NASSP members)
- Building leaders who have served for at least three years for any combination of grades 6-12
- Principals and Assistant Principals who have not received this award in the last five years
How are winners selected?
Winners of the Principal and Assistant Principal of the Year awards are selected based on the nominee’s performance in the following areas:
- Collaborative Leadership
- Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
How do I nominate someone?
To submit an application, all required documents must be submitted by Feb. 6, 2020. Please make sure to review all section requirements before submitting. If this award is being submitted without the candidate’s knowledge, make every attempt to include all information with as much detail as possible. Required documents include:
- Brief description of why the person is being nominated
- Contributions, accomplishments and successes as a building administrator in one or more of the Selection Criteria areas
- Examples of exemplary programs, ideas, strategies or events at the nominee’s school
- Professional accolades and service
- Letters of support from a student leader and immediate supervisor (additional letters are also accepted)
- Superintendent Signature Page
When are nominations due?
Nominations are due on Feb. 6, 2020 by the close of business. Winners will be selected on Feb. 9 and presented with their award on March 1 at the MASC/MAHS State Conference Award Ceremony. More information about application deadlines and other important dates can be found at massp.com/PotY
If you know a principal or assistant principal who deserves to be recognized with this honor, don’t wait! Submit your application before time runs out.
If you have any questions about the nomination process, contact Alyssa Schoenherr or call (517) 327-5315.
Written by Alicia Pilmore, MASSP Communications and Marketing Manager